Monday, June 4, 2007

It seems to me that in Italy, site's accessibility is not the goal

Yesterday I saw an adv on the national tv, here in Italia. They were advertising their new web site, so this morning I checked out the new site. It's awful. From the point of view of accessibility is awful. After the horrible experiment of italia.it, I hoped that they had learned their lesson, but I was wrong.
  1. First of all it opens a pop-up with ads. It is quite unfair, because Italian people pays for the national tv, so I would expect at least no ads pop-up.
  2. Second it uses massively flash technologies. I don't think flash is the most usable technology for many reasons: it is not free, it is not available anywhere, it is not designed for d-people, you can hardly cut and paste from flash stuffs, ...
    I agree that sometimes flash can be used to bring some interactiveness that is not available through standard html or javascript, but in this site it is only used for a menu with highlighted entries. This is unacceptable!
  3. Neither the html parts are standard. Check out this...
  4. They use real media for their streaming.
It's a pity because they are losing a chance to build a nice project. If I were them, I would have taken different decisions:
  1. Use free codecs for streaming
  2. Use only plain html: you can do wonderful sites with html and css, if you are able.
  3. Use podcasts, and use them well. One single podcast for each single program.
  4. Use youtube, google video, democracyplayer and whatever to distribute your contents.
  5. License everything as CC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
i'm italian and what you reported
is truthful.

Let me say an italian phrase :
"Che vadano affanculo!"

Unknown said...

Hi, I know it's truthful... I'm Italian as well...